DegreePhD, Yale University, 1985; MPhil, Yale University, 1982; MA, Yale University, 1981; AB, University of California, Berkeley, 1979
AREAS OF EXPERTISEBusiness strategy, technology
Current Research Topics
- Business and corporate strategy, especially firm capabilities and adaptation to change, with application to innovation, top management, vertical integration
- “Managerial Cognitive Capabilities and the Microfoundations of Dynamic Publications Capabilities” (with Margaret Peteraf). Forthcoming, Strategic Management Journal.
- “Quantitative Empirical Analysis in Strategic Management” (with Richard Bettis, Alfonso Gambardella, Will Mitchell). Forthcoming, Strategic Management Journal.
- “Fit Between Organization Design and Organizational Routines” (with Samina Karim). Forthcoming, Journal of Organization Design.
- “Dynamic Managerial Capabilities: A Perspective on the Relationship Between Managers, Creativity and Innovation in Organizations” (with Jeffrey Martin). Forthcoming in Christina Shalley, Michael Hitt, and Jing Zhou, eds. The Oxford Handbook of Creativity, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship: Multilevel Linkages, Oxford University Press.
- “The Impact of Dynamic Capabilities on Resource Access and Development” (with Christian Stadler and Gianmario Verona). 2013. Organization Science 24(6): 1782-1804.
- “Technical Fitness.” 2013. Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management: Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Evolutionary Fitness.” 2013. Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management: Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Capability Lifecycle” (with Tiona Zuzul). 2013. Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management: Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Managerial Resources and Capabilities” (with Andrea Hugill). 2013. Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management: Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Managerial Rents” (with Andrea Hill). 2013. Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management: Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Dynamic Managerial Capabilities: A Review and Assessment of Managerial Impact on Strategic Change” (with Jeffrey Martin).
- “Integrative Capabilities, Vertical Integration, and Innovation Over Successive Technology Lifecycles” (with Miguel Campo-Rembado).
- “Ambidexterity in Inter-firm Partnerships: Evidence from Buyer-Supplier Relationships in the Italian Motor Vehicle Sector” (with Andrea Lipparini and Gianmario Verona).
- “Field Evidence on Individual Behavior and Performance in Rank-order Tournaments” (with Kevin Boudreau, Karim Lakhani, and Michael Menietti).
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Technology and Innovation Management Division, Academy of Management
- Fellow of the Strategic Management Society
- Yale University Graduate Fellowship
- Distinction on Ph.D. Qualifying Examination in Economic History
- High Honors in Economics and Great Distinction in General Scholarship, University of California at Berkeley
- Phi Beta Kappa
Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
- J. Brian Quinn Professor in Technology and Strategy, 2004-present
- Professor of Strategy and Technology, 2002-2004
- Associate Professor of Business Administration (with tenure), 1998-2002
- Research Affiliate, Center for Digital Strategies, 1999-present
Harvard Business School
- Visiting Scholar, Strategy Unit, 2008-2009
University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management, 1991-1998
Northwestern University, J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management and Strategy, 1987-1991
University of California, Davis, Graduate School of Management
- Assistant Professor, 1985-1987
- Co-editor, Strategic Management Journal, 2013-present
- Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal, 2007-2013
- Associate Editor, Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management, 2009-present
- Associate Editor, Management Science, 2001-2008
- Special Issue Co-editor (with Rajshree Agarwal), Organization Science, Special Issue on Strategic Renewal, 2006-2008
- Special Issue on Strategic Renewal, 2006-2008
- Special Senior Editor, Organization Science, 1999-2001
- Special Issue Editor, Strategic Management Journal, Special Issue on The Evolution of Capabilities, 1999-2000