DegreePhD, MA, University of Pennsylvania, 1998; ME, BME, Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, 1993
AREAS OF EXPERTISEStrategy, innovation, entrepreneurship
Current Research Topics
- Innovation ecosystems
- Organizing collaborative solutions
- Diversification choices
- Demand-based approaches to strategy
- With F. Csaszar and P. Zemsky (2014). “Positioning on a Multi-Attribute Landscape.” Management Science.
- With R. Klingebiel (2014). “Real Options Logic Revisited: Disentangling Sequential Investment, Low-Commitment Strategies, and Resource Re-Allocation Reality.” Academy of Management Journal.
- With J. Oxley and B. Silverman (2013). “Collaboration and Competition in Business Ecosystems.” Advances in Strategic Management 31: 9-18.
- With R. Kapoor (2012). “What firms make vs. what they know: How firms’ production and knowledge boundaries affect competitive advantage in the face of technological change.” Organization Science, Special issue on Organizational Economics and Organizational Capabilities. 23(5): 1227–1248. Selected for Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management, 2008. Runner-up, INFORMS-ISA Best Industry Studies Paper Award (best paper across all 843 papers published in 2012 across all 12 INFORMS journals).
- With D. Snow (2010). “Old Technology Responses to New Technology Threats: Demand heterogeneity and technology retreats.” Industrial and Corporate Change. 19(5):1655-1675.
- With R. Kapoor (2010). “Value creation in innovation ecosystems: How the structure of technological interdependence affects firm performance in new technology generations.” Strategic Management Journal.31(3): 306-333.
- With D. Snow (2010). “Bold retreat: A new strategy for old technologies.” Harvard Business Review. 88(3): 76-81. Reprinted in Harvard Business Review on Aligning Technology with Strategy, Harvard Business Press, 2011.
- With L. Polos, M. D. Ryall, and O. Sorenson (2009). "The case for formal theory." Academy of Management Review. 34(2):201-208.
- With D. Levinthal (2008). “Doing versus seeing: Acts of exploitation and perceptions of exploration.” Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. 1(2):43-52.
- “Real options and resource re-allocation processes.” Advances in Strategic Management. 24: 363-272 (2007).
- With D. Feiler, “Interdependence and Investment Choices.”
- With J. Chen and F. Zhu, “Cross-Platform Competition and Compatibility.”
- With R. Kapoor, “Innovation ecosystems and the pace of substitution: Reexamining technology S-curves.”
- With P. Zemsky and F. Ruiz-Aliseda, “Competitive positioning and Generic Strategies.”
- With P. Zemsky, “Diversification and performance: Linking market structure, market relatedness and the decision to diversify.”
- Tuck Class of 2011 Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2011 (inaugural award).
- Best Paper Award, Atlanta Competitive Advantage Conference, 2004.
- Outstanding Teacher of Elective Courses, INSEAD, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.
- Finalist, Academy of Management George R. Terry Book Award, 2013. The Wide Lens: What Successful Innovators See that Others Miss.
- Runner-up, INFORMS-Industry Studies Association Best Paper Prize (across 12 journals). 2013. “What firms make vs. what they know: How firms’ production and knowledge boundaries affect competitive advantage in the face of technological change.”
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2013.
- Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management, 2008. "What firms make vs. what they know: How firms’ production and knowledge boundaries affect competitive advantage in the face of technological change."
- Best Paper Proceedings of the Academy of Management, 2006. "Diversification and performance: Linking market structure, market relatedness and the decision to diversify."
- Tuck School of Business, 2008–present
- Akzo Nobel Fellow of Strategic Management, 2006–08
- INSEAD Associate Professor of Strategy, 2002–08, Assistant Professor of Strategy, 1998–2002
- Associate Editor, Management Science
- Special Issue Co-editor, Academy of Management Review
Academy of Management Review
Strategic Management Journal