Stephen G. Powell
DegreePhD, Stanford University, 1983; MS, Stanford University, 1976; AB, Oberlin College, 1971
AREAS OF EXPERTISEManagement science, operations management, business modeling and simulation
Current Research Topics
- Application of management science modeling to business and public decision making
- Design of production lines and business processes
- Advertising and promotion strategies
- Inventory policy
- Natural resource modeling
- “How Novices Formulate Models Part II: A Quantitative Description of Behavior,” with Tom Willemain, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 58, 1271-1283, 2007.
- "A Comparison of Spreadsheet Users with Different Levels of Experience," with Ken Baker, Barry Lawson, and Lynn Foster-Johnson, Omega 37 (2009), 579-590.
- “A Critical Review of the Literature on Spreadsheet Errors,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Decision Support Systems, 46 (2008) 128–138.
- “An Auditing Protocol for Spreadsheet Models,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Information and Management, 45(5) (2008) 312-320.
- “Errors in Operational Spreadsheets,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Journal of End User and Organizational Computing, 21(3), 24-36, July-September 2009.
- “Impacts of Errors in Operational Spreadsheets,” Stephen G. Powell, Kenneth R. Baker, and Barry Lawson, Decision Support Systems, 47(2), 2009, 126-132.
- “Pricing Early-Exercise Options using Genetic Optimization,” Journal of Derivatives, Spring 2013, 43-59.
- “A Comparison of Free Autologous Breast Reconstruction with and without the use of Laser-assisted Indocyanine Green Angiography: A Cost Effectiveness Analysis,” Abhishek Chatterjee, Naveen M. Krishnan, Micheael M. Van Vliet, Stephen G. Powell, Joseph M. Rosen, and Emily B. Ridgway, forthcoming, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, May 2013.
- “A Comparison of Acellular Dermal Matrix to Autologous Dermal Flaps in Single-Stage, Implant-based Immediate Breast Reconstruction: A Cost Effectiveness Analysis,” Abhishek Chatterjee, M.D., Naveen M. Krishnan, Micheael M. Van Vliet, Stephen G. Powell, Joseph M. Rosen, and John F. Nigriny. Forthcoming, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, May 2013.
- “The Cost Effectiveness of Acellular Dermal Matrix in Expander-Implant Immediate Breast Reconstruction,” Naveen M. Krishnan, Abhishek Chatterjee, K. M. Rosenkranz, Stephen G. Powell, J.F. Nigriny, and D. C. Vidal. British Journal of Plastic Surgery, forthcoming.
- “Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of a New Tuberculosis Diagnostic Algorithm,” Elizabeth A. Talbot, Stephen G. Powell, Kenton Allen, Jaime Bayona, Lisa V. Adams, submitted to the International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, October 5, 2012.
- “How Precise are Estimates of the Minimally Important Clinical Difference?,” with Naveen Krishnan, submitted to Statistics in Medicine, January 11, 2014.
- “The Performance of Novice Data Analysts on an Open-Ended Problem,” with Tom Willemain and Julie Layton, June 8, 2013.
- Award for the Teaching of OR/MS Practice, Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2001
- Tuck School of Business, 1987–present
- Faculty Affiliate, Glassmeyer/McNamee Center for Digital Strategies, Tuck School, 2001–present
- Academic Director, INFORMS Workshop on Teaching of Management Science
- Senior Management Science Analyst, Merrill Lynch, 1986–87
- Senior Operations Research Analyst, RCA, 1985–86
- Senior Strategic Analyst, Wang Laboratories, 1983–85