Hiring International Students

We offer answers to common questions about hiring international students below and have a handy employers guide to hiring international students available for you as well.

Are international students legally authorized to work in the US?

Yes, international students on an F-1 student visa qualify for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) during the summer internship period and have full US work authorization as part of Optional Practical Training (OPT) for up to 12 months post-completion of the MBA program. Students who possess J-1 visas have full US work authorization for up to 18 months as part of Academic Training (AT) work authorization. Employment must be directly related to the student’s major area of study.

Do I have to complete any paperwork for CPT, OPT or AT?

No, you need not concern yourself with paperwork for F-1 or J-1 students since the necessary work authorization formalities are completed by Dartmouth's International Office.

What about long-term employment?

Beyond a student’s post-completion OPT or AT, a different type of visa is required. The most common temporary worker visa, known as the H-1B, can be obtained for up to six years. The H-1B application process generally takes a few months to complete and has become more restricted as a result of new nationwide quota limitations (known as the H-1B cap). However, Tuck students have a distinct advantage in that additional H-1B allotments have been made available to non-U.S. citizens who hold Masters and PhD degrees from U.S. institutions. It is advisable to consider seeking legal advice to secure and strategize the very precise and detailed H-1B application process.

Do students need a green card?

No. A green card, or immigrant visa classification, confers permanent residency status. Many international students wish to return to their home countries during the course of their careers, therefore a non-immigrant visa will often suffice for up to seven years. To further discuss the regulations related to student visas, or to verify the employment eligibility of a Tuck School graduate, please contact Kenneth Reade in the Office of Visa & Immigration Services at Dartmouth College (www.dartmouth.edu/~ovis) at 44 North College Street, Suite 6202, Hanover, NH 03755 or at 603-646-3474.

Employers are under no obligation as far as the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services or Department of Labor is concerned to offer employment to U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents first. Your obligation is to offer work that meets criteria for practical training or temporary worker status.